Re: CREATE ORDERED TABLE

From: Sheila Zou <xzou_at_graphnet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:03:49 -0500

sorry,

but this is what i got:

Connected to:
Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.5.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning, Objects and Parallel Server options PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.2.0 - Production

SQL> create table test as
  2 select * from accounts order by acc_id; select * from accounts order by acc_id

                                    *

ERROR at line 2:
ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended

TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com> wrote in message news:385966e7.28264692_at_super.news-ituk.to...

> [...]
> EMPL_NM
> ------------------------
> Weidemann,Patrick J
> Welfling,Mary B
> Zeller,Matthew J
> Zochert,Sidney A
> Zwart,Benjamin J.
> Brady,Levi L
> Buckley,Elizabeth A
> Ellis,Glen C
> Hall,David A.
> Joyce,Christina M
> Mackereth,Anne H
> Mitchell,Patrick D
> Ruiz,Maxine M
> Scarrow,Richard F
> Tinklenberg,Elwyn G
> Weingartz,James F
>

> I then issued the following:
> create table junk as select empl_nm from test_table order by empl_nm.
> A select from that table ( select empl_nm from junk) returns:[ again a
sample,
> but look where Buckley is now located ]
> EMPL_NM
> -------------------------
> Basney,Todd J
> Behm,Thomas L
> Blomquist,Marie Anne
> Bloomgren,Keith E
> Borriello,Trudie A
> Bottolfson,Julie A
> Bowdish Jr.,Boyd W
> Brady,Levi L
> Braunig,Richard E
> Bronder,Jacob Z.
> Bruggeman,Gary E.
> Buckley,Elizabeth A
> Busch,Robert S
> Cain,Brendan J
> Carlson,Mark D
> Chernyaev,Alex V
> Curry,DeLorah F
> Czichray,Stephan E.
> Ehrenstrom,Kent N.
> Elftmann,Jonathan D
> Ellis,Glen C
> Engstrom,Glenn M
> Erickson,Ronald B
> Evbayekha,Robert E
> Evens,Eric C
> Fashant,Donald L
> Forster,Ryan T
> Fredrickson,Derek D.
> Gale,Robert A
> Green,Evan R
> Groehler,James D
> Hagen,Mark G
> Hall,David A.
> Halvorson,James P
> Hamre,Herman G
> Harper,Thomas W
>
> So, I did get the results I posted....why it failed when you tried I don't
know

> John Greco
> Oracle 7.3.4
> Also tried it on 8.1.5
>

> "Sheila Zou" <xzou_at_graphnet.com> wrote:
>
> >please make sure before you answer the question. it doesnot work I think.
> >
> >TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Eliminate the parens... just use
> >>
> >> create table junk as select * from other_table order by
> >field_in_other_table;
> >>
> >> It should work...
> >> You cannot, as in your example, create a table by selecting from a

World!
> >> ------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries
Servers