Re: !HELP: Oracle processes keep growing fast!

From: Stanislav Benda <si_bendovi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:49:07 -0600

Yuri Sokolovski wrote in message
<052897bc.3af6dfdf_at_usw-ex0101-007.remarq.com>...
>PLEASE HELP
>
>Hi there!
>
>My question is about Oracle processes:
>
>I have an Oracle 8i server running on NT box. init.ora has configuration
>parameter PROCESSES=600. After running for a couple of days Oracle
>eventually exceeds this number of processes (600). Why it does not
>close these processes (v$process), but keeps them alive even if I shut
>down all applications using this instance?
>I checked our applications - they gracefully close all statements,
>cursors, connections, what not. There is one application though that
>queries database very often (every 30 sec.) and keeps open the same
>connection (via ODBC connection pool), but it also deallocates all
>resources gracefully... I am really confised.
>If you have any idea I would really appreciate your advice.
>
>P.S. I would also appreciate if you could give me a hint how to find out
>which processes are owned by the session.

Not have Oracle handy, but there is way, how to join v$process and v$session.

Try

select * from v$session, v$process where v$sesion.paddr = v$process.addr;

Having this info you can write nice job procedure, which will periodically kill sessions originated from specific program :-) older than 4 minutes  sysdate - logon_time) :-).

Stan Received on Thu Dec 16 1999 - 16:49:07 CST