Oracle Parallel Server... multi processor machine

From: Paul Bennett <bennett_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:40:07 GMT

Not counting writing the application for using a parralel server effectivly, if I wanted to run oracle on a multi processor machine I would need to use oracle parallel server, correct? If so, if I had 8 processors, I would run 8 instances? If so, would each instance have an SGA? If so, isn't that a waste of memory to potential have the same table data cached in serveral SGA's on the same machine? Is there a way to share that buffer pool?

It makes sence to have an SGA for each instance if the instances are running on completely different machines, of course.

Thanks