Re: Calculating Oracle database i/o per second

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:45:07 +0800

Neil Greene wrote:

> In article <s5h4r5juqrs181_at_corp.supernews.com>, akaplan_at_interaccess.com
> says...
> > In INIT.ORA, set TIMED_STATISTICS=TRUE. Then restart the database instance.
> >
> > Then you can run "$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlbstat.sql" to start gathering
> > statistics. When you are
> > ready to see the file reads/writes, run
> > "$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlestat.sql". You will also find dozens of
> > usefull pieces of information about your database.
>
> Opps! I should have been more specific. I am looking for a way to
> collect this data at an interval, lets say every min, or every 3 min, and
> plot io/sec over the interval. In fact, I am looking for a way to plot
> the "Physical I/O" graph like that found in Quest Instance Monitor.
>
> --- Neil

Same as the utlbstat/utlestat concept...

So you end up with something like:

Start: create table x as select * from v$filestat;

Each three mins:
 rename x to x_old
 create table x as select * from v$filestat;

then join x to x_old to get the deltas in io's...this gives you an io's per three minutes...

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Dec 16 1999 - 03:45:07 CST