Variables accessible to all sessions in pl/sql?

From: Njål Ekern <n.a.ekern_at_usit.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:07:53 +0100

Hi!

We have a system with a lot of pl/sql packages. We are running Oracle 8.0.6
The possibility of having persistent global variables in the package specification available to the user throughout his/hers session is very useful. But now we want something 'more general'. We want all users to have access to the same variables and their values, not having their own private set.

I.e. we want the db-startup-script to call a pl/sql procedure. The procedure will do some complicated and time-consuming estimations, and then we want it to store the results in some variables that will be readable for every user session.

Are there any solutions for this kind of sharing variables between sessions?

We have looked at packages with Pragma 'serially reusable'. Here the variables are stored in the SGA and initialised every time the package is called. We want something like a package stored in the SGA which are initialised once and then all the variables in the package and their values can be read by pl/sql-programs ran by any session.

Are there any solutions for this? Any ideas will be appreciated!

Regards, Njål
n.a.ekern_at_usit.uio.no Received on Thu Dec 16 1999 - 05:07:53 CST