Re: oracle name services

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 05:21:40 GMT

jwtai_at_my-deja.com wrote:

]Hello all,
]
] I'm setting up an oracle name service. Does anyone have experiences with
]this and help me point in the right direction. Any references that I should
]read, books, articles etc etc.
]
] Any help is appreciated.

I was involved with Names until a couple of months ago. From my experiences, you should stop NOW.

I've been told that Oracle are not continuing with Names, not fixing bugs, and not even including it in future distributions. Note this is not from a reliable source, but that is what I have been told.

The rest of this is first hand, recent, experience:

After a while you can't make any additions or changes to your Names configuation. You notice this when you can no longer connect to Enterprise Manager, so you can't even delete old stuff. Back to backups and recover your way out. Then dump names and go back to tnsnames.ora files.

The Enterprise Manager only runs where it is installed, and that seems to be only on Microsoft boxes. Less of an issue once we got the expensive Citrix servers going, but a real hassle at the time. It also requires use of this GUI tools, which is real bad news when working from home over the wire. Text based tnsnames.ora files are very modem friendly.

Getting rid of Names and moving to the far easier environment of tnsnames.ora files took a bit of effort, but nothing like trying to work within Names, which frequently required travelling some distance to a Microsoft box with the client installed, and then to the vault to get the old backup tapes.

Dont Do It !
--
 ,-,_|\ George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet. __

/    * \ Home: gedau_at_pobox.com         !  Any views or opinions expressed (OO)
\_,--\_/ Work: gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au    !  above may be mine, but are NOT ( \/ )
      v   WWW: http://pobox.com/~gedau !  necessarily those of M.I.M.     W--W