Re: Linux & Oracle High Availability

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:44:16 GMT

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:07:51 +0100, "Gerald Anleitner" <ga_at_phil.uni-passau.de> wrote:

>It seems to me that replication allows me to get more power out of a number of
>machines: Assuming that I have two Linux servers running Oracle, in a backup
>scenario, one server would just stay in the backup as a fail-over if something
>bad happens to the main server. I cannot use the backup server for queries.
>
>In a replication scenario, it seems to me that I can use the power of both
>servers. I can query both servers. As far as I understood the backup solution, I
>cannot query the backup server!
>Thus in replication, I have two servers working. If one fails, the other one
>will have to do the whole work, but when I start-up the failed server again, it
>will automatically (replication!) set itself to the current state of data with
>the help of the still performing other server.

in OPS there is a lot of overhead for OLTP, read the manual carefully, it might not even work for you. In order to have a 'reliable' machine, buy reliable Servers and stripe and mirror your disks. I think with O8i server you can use the standby for 'read only', but I am not sure.

Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 373-5417
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email