Re: Redo Copy Latch Contention

From: Michel Gauthier <qgmi1_at_clic.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:26:24 GMT

Eric,
I'm a little bit happy to hear someone observed the same behavior about that latch. I posted something about that last week (see my note here after yours), but nobody answered. I'd be glad to know which release and O/S you have bad "redo copy" latch contention. Mines are 7.3.2 on a HP3000, MPE/iX. There are very few installation of Oracle on those mini-computer and I first thought my bad "redo copy" latch behavior was caused by the specific implementation of Oracle on MPE.

Michel Gauthier
Donohue Inc.

<miaemp_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8383d8$tkf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> The last several days, I have been testing the effects of the
> LOC_SIMULTANEOUS_COPIES init.ora parameter to reduce Redo Copy Latch
> contention we are experiencing. Originally it was set to 12. I
> increased it to 24, the contention appeared to get slightly worse. I
> decreased it to 8, the contention appeared to decrease back to what it
> was when it was set at 12. Different performance tuning books have
> stated that the above init.ora parameter should be at least set to the
> number of processors on your system. Others have said that it should
> be up to 2 times the number of processors of your system.
>
> We are experiencing 94% misses on the Redo Copy Latches. These misses
> are primarily during nightly batch. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA
> Eric Peterson
> Programmer/Analyst DBA
> eric_petersonNO_at_mauricesSPAMMERS.inrg.com
>
> Please note that any views I have expressed are purely my own and not
> that of my employer. To email me remove teh NO and the SPAMMERS.
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Michel Gauthier wrote (one week before...)