Re: Linux & Oracle High Availability

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:28:52 -0800

I believe there is now some clustering capability as an add on in Linux. However, OPS as you say has not been released on this yet. So your options are three fold:

  1. Check into the clustering software. Most clustering software allows you to script a failover from one node to another. This gives slightly lower availability than OPS but it may be sufficient.
  2. Standby database. I don't really understand your comment about that not being nice. Lots of people use it, and with the new functionality in 8i it really is quite suitable for a high availability scenario.
  3. Multi-master replication. The major issue here is (as it always has been) the business decisions to handle conflict. Technically, it works fine.

Which of these three suits you is going to be site and even application dependent, and you haven't provided enough information for us to advise on this. One comment I would make though, is why do you want a highly available development environment, unless it's to test a highly available Production environment?

HTH. Pete