Why Oracle processes number keeps constantly growing???

From: Yuri Sokolovski <yurisNOyuSPAM_at_backweb.com.invalid>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:16:28 -0800

Hi there!

My question is about Oracle processes:

I have an Oracle 8i server running on NT box. init.ora has configuration parameter PROCESSES=600. After running for a couple of days Oracle eventually exceeds this number of processes (600). Why it does not close these processes (v$process), but keeps them alive even if I shut down all applications using this instance? I checked our applications - they gracefully close all statements, cursors, connections, what not. There is one application though that queries database very often (every 30 sec.) and keeps open the same connection (via ODBC connection pool), but it also deallocates all resources gracefully... I am really confised. If you have any idea I would really appreciate your advice.

P.S. I would also appreciate if you could give me a hint how to find out which processes are owned by the session.

Thanks a lot!!!