rtrim question

From: Peter Shankey <shankeyp_at_charlestoncounty.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:05:45 -0500

What am I missed about the rtrim function: If I have a table
SQL> describe delete_me1

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 C1                              NOT NULL VARCHAR2(10)
and do

SQL> select c1 from delete_me1;

C1

t1

I get t1 no big deal
if I do
SQL> select length(c1) from delete_me1;

LENGTH(C1)

         2

again this makes sense length() counts chars up to a white space but if I do
SQL>
SQL> select rtrim(c1) from delete_me1;

RTRIM(C1)

t1

why don't I see ????
RT
--

t1

In the case of using the dual table I get:

SQL> select 't1 ' c1 from dual;

C1

t1

SQL>
SQL> select rtrim('t1 ') c1 from dual;

C1
--

t1

SQL> It seems like rtrim() is not treating the value returned from C1 in the table
delete_me1 like it is not a string. but the length function is. How could I rtrim the return of a varchar2 column?

Thanks
Pete Received on Mon Dec 13 1999 - 16:05:45 CST