Re: RMAN question

From: Karl R. <kreitsch_at_zdnetmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 00:21:09 -0800

Hello !
We are using rman with Oracle 8.0.5.2.0 on NT

Some Answers to your Quetstions.
:
I think you should not mix Incremental and Full Backup. A Fullbackup is not a basis for following LEVEL-1..n Backups. I wondered too that no online Redo-log is backuped. But this is impossible because the databse should be in Cold-Mode doing this. When rman is doing a fullbackup he presses the redo-information aut of the online-redo to the archived redo nad backsup them. In deed you have to have the online redo to restore a databse completely.
Using RMAN with OEM (2.0.4) is a good thing. When you have to recover your database, you can atomatically create a recover-script for rman and execute it.
Creating BakupJobs is easy too, first you create a Backup-Configuration and then you assign it to a backup-job. We are happy in having rman! Because he does not need so much database resource ( no alter tablespace begin backup ... nessesary) and easier recovery due to the recavery-catalog! and ists mor scalable due different Backupprocesses ( i am not an OracleConsultant ! ). Teh intewgration in OEM is good too.
Hope helping you a little bit
/karl