Re: Tune SQL query

From: Peter L <news_at_abc.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:27:55 -0000

weijendavid_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <82rpoe$g3p$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

>Does anybody know how to tune the query below so it doesn't take
>"Forever" to run>
>delete from caritemoption o where o.caritemid in
> (select ci.caritemid from caritem ci, car c
> where ci.carid = c.carid
> and upper(c.first_name) = 'xxx'
> or upper(c.last_name) = 'yyyy');
As someone else has posted more background is needed to give advice on tuning, however you appear to be converting the first and last names to upper case then comparing against a lower case string. Is this just a typo in your post? Also I don't know the logic behind what you are trying to achieve but are you sure you don't want to bracket off the 'or' part of the where clause? Received on Sun Dec 12 1999 - 07:27:55 CST