Re: Snapshots: Synchronous refresh?

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 01:20:07 GMT

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:02:51 GMT, dpurrington_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>To this end, I want to be able to call a stored procedure to perform
>the refresh (like DBMS_REFRESH.REFRESH()), but will my session wait for
>the refresh to be performed, or will this function merely schedule it
>to be performed immediately? If it waits for the refresh to be
>performed, I'll know the refresh is done when I get control back in my
>session. If it doesn't, I'll have to figure out some other way.

It should wait until it finished before it continues with the rest of your 'program'. For example, if you issue EXECUTE DBMS_SNAPSHOT.REFRESH (my_big_snap) (oh, yeah, use dbms_snapshot, not dbms_refresh) it will wait before returning to SQL prompt. I have used this in PL/SQL blocks, and scheduled them via DBMS_JOB, because I had to disable referential integrity on snapshots, refresh them, and then enable it again.

Hope this helps.

Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 373-5417
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email