Re: which c/c++ db-access library to use?

From: Shige Takeda <smtakeda_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 09:03:40 GMT

> - Oracle OCI / have heard that it is hard to implement, and I'm sure
> there are already class libraries out there that wrap around it, but
> performance is good
> - Pro*C / Wow! makes you write UGLY code...heard the performance is
> right there with the OCI

Pro*C is the precompiler for converting SQL statement "MACROs" into OCI functions. We may assume those are the same things. For easier maintenance, I would recommend you Pro*C rather then OCI. The code is ugly but straightforward for SQL. On the other hand, because OCI and PRO*C are the lowest level Oracle client interface, you may need to create a stack to communicate with ASP/IIS layer.

> - ODBC (MS or Oracle) / heard this is slow, not suited for situations
> where high performance is required

ODBC can be used with VB Script on ASP directly. Unicode native ODBC version, yet beta, was released. If you think about multilingual web site, it may be easier to take the advantage than Pro*C or OCI. It should be slower than OCI because ODBC stack is on OCI.

I'm not familiar with the others.

Hope this helps,
--
Shige Takeda
smtakeda_at_earthlink.net Received on Sat Dec 11 1999 - 03:03:40 CST