Ora-04061 after replacing a package body

From: Michel Gauthier <qgmi1_at_clic.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:46:33 GMT

While our system was up, I replaced a fairly used package body (create or replace package body ...). Before doing it, I looked at the v$access view to see if someone was accessing it and since I found nobody, I proceeded. A few minutes after I started to get calls from users mentionning they were having the error ora-04061, which means the package body had been invalidated. After reading the messages manual i told them that they just had to logon again and everything should be fine, which indeed was. I had to do the same thing again later during the day. This time, after replacing the package, I made a ALTER PACKAGE xxx COMPILE. But it was useless and users got in the same error message again.

In fact, after I changed the package body, it wasn't really invalid (because the replacement was successful). I guess the exact problem was the users cursors within which there was reference to the package became invalid. Is there a way to make them all valid again? Is there a way to change a package (body) without getting in this kind of error?

TIA Michel Gauthier
Donohue Inc. Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 15:46:33 CST