Re: oracle context - performance rel Question ?

From: <moerkd_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:19:18 GMT

In article <82jq2e$q68$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   skorisapati_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I need help in optimizing a oracle context search. I am new to the
> product and don't know where to tune to improve the response time of
the
> search.
>
> Right now, two step search takes around 3 minutes to retrive records
> based on a key work from a table of 10 million rows. We have a policy
> and associated indexes created on the table.column. We are using two
> step query to search, retrieve the details and are using forms 5.0 as
> client to display the results on the screen. After a thorough
> investigation, i found out that ctx_query.contains(policy_name,
> query_string, resulttab, sharelevel) part of the step which populates
> the result table with the relavant records for query_string is taking
> considerable amount of time like 2 3/4 minutes and rest is done in 15
> secs.
>
> Any suggestions on how i can improve the performance, where do i tune
?
> what do i modify ? etc
>
> your suggestions are highly appreciated!
>
> thanx in advance.
>
> Subu

Hallo ,
I work with the context option sometimes and I detected a problem with the generation of a policy, it always uses the Storage Parameters of the tablespace (or did i miss a parameter??) so it depends on the tablespace where the context option resides how many Extents the Index Tables and the depending Indexes are using. As you surely know the number of extents reduce the performance. May be it helps if you have a look on the number of extets of your Tables (Context) and the indexes on them.

Hope that helps
Detlev

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 15:19:18 CST