Re: Oracle WebDB

From: Jon Tilbury <jon.tilbury_at_tessella.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:32:47 -0000

David Thomas wrote in message <82lvsk$5ef$1_at_news.swan.ac.uk>...
>My organisation is undecided on which Oracle development environment to use
>for an upcoming re-development project.
>The two front runners are Developer 2000 and WebDB.

David,

we have used WebDB to produce some simple applications to view company data. It is quick to produce simple stuff and seems efficient, and is very easy to use. Once you start trying to go further you need to start adding PL/SQL and JavaScript which goes against the ease of use idea. The client end is of course very thin so can be viewed on any platform. We have found several bugs which sugegst it is still a young product. We are on the beta trial of WebDB3.0 so we'll see how that goes.

Developer is a whole different product. It is much more sophisticated and can produce very nice front ends. It is however most useful as a client server product as the Application Server approach can be quite slow.

So, do you want a cheap and cheerful, simple web based product or a complex, sophisticated, more expensive client-server product

Jon Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 10:32:47 CST