Re: Update takes an insanely long time

From: Vrajesh Patel <vrajesh_p_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:50:31 GMT

Please, place you query in explain plan and see the cost of execution.

Does is has good indexes? Pl. also see that, table is not fragmented on different blocks.

Thanks,

-Vrajesh Patel

"Tapan Trivedi" <tapan.trivedi_at_abbnm.com> wrote in message news:38502FDE.E3EDB5F1_at_abbnm.com...
: Hi gurus,
: I have a question for you all. One of my developers is trying to
: update a table with around
: 16500 records . She is trying a very simple update statement
: update tablename set column1 = 'N' where column1 = 'Y'
: She has around 12500 records which will be affected.
: It has taken around 16 hours now for this simple operation. Other
: tables on the same
: instance do not have any problems for similar updates.
: There were about 35 constraints on this table which I disable hoping
: to do better this time
: without any success. Am I missing something obvious ? Should I be
: concerned about anything else ??
:
: Any comments,
: suggestions , ideas will be appreciated.
:
:
: Tapan H Trivedi
: Will be grateful if you could reply to the e-mail address also.
:
:
: