Re: Installed new ram -- received worse performance

From: Ramon Sandoval <rsandoval_at_imperialtech.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:01:53 -0800

Sam,

If your performance problem is an I/O problem, we can help. My web site <http://www.imperialtech.com> has a white paper entitled "The Tragedy of Throwing Memory at an I/O Problem." It is in the "White Papers" section.

Imperial Technology manufactures a product called MegaRam Solid State Disk systems, as well as MegaCache Intelligent Inline Cache systems; we've been manufacturing these for more than 20 years. These devices are hundreds of times faster than rotating disks.

If you'd like me to send you the White Paper, either fill out the "Contact Us" form on my site or send me an email and I can send you the document in PDF format.

Ramon Sandoval
Imperial Technology, Inc.

>We have a ES450 server and tried to install 3Gb of new RAM into the
>system. Immediately after adding the memory and reconfiguring the OS
>and Oracle, we received extremely poor performance.
>
>Because we needed known performance, we took out the new RAM and put in
>the old RAM. Now here's the clincher -- we had the same performance
>problem for about an hour and a half.
>
>Now, here's the question. If we put the new RAM in and let it chug for
>an hour and a half, are we going to see a marked performance increase?
>Why does it take an hour and a half before that happens?
>
>We're in the middle of a legacy system conversion into Oracle. We have
>a deadline to convert 8,000,000 rows - we could use the extra time to
>ensure a working system. Basically, I have to assure management that
>we are not going to suffer any more delays and that the cost of doing
>this will pay off.

Ramon A. Sandoval.............|..Ofc Tel:..(310)536-0018 Ext. 15
Product Marketing Department..|..Toll-Free.(800)451-0666 Ext. 15
Imperial Technology, Inc......|..Fax:......(310)536-0124
2305 Utah Avenue..............|..URL:.....<http://www.imperialtech.com>
El Segundo, CA  90245-4818....|..email:...rsandoval_at_imperialtech.com

Imperial Technology, Inc.: "Home and Manufacturer of the 1,000,000 RPM Disk"

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/  Before you buy. Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 09:01:53 CST