Re: what is pro-c ?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:33:09 GMT

I last used Pro*C in college so I am not an expert on this, but here goes.

> However, I can't really find information about how to invoke... I have
> Oracle Enterprise Edition (which I assumed included Pro*C). But can't
> find any information about how to start the compiler.

After you have created your program, you run the program against the Pro*C compiler. When in school, we created the program with a .pc extension. Then we issued "proc prog.pc" from the command line. We were doing this on a Unix platform. On my NT machine, I have proc.exe, proc22.exe and a gui interface one called procui22.exe all found in $ORACLE_HOME/bin.

> and Pro*C would generate some lower level C code which I could compile
> with ?any ANSI-C Compiler?
>
> Any help finding Pro*C on my system (I know, stupid request...) and
> clearing up that final compiler question, would be greatly appreciated.

After running the .pc file in the Pro*C compiler, a file was generated called "prog.c". On our Unix platform, we just issued "make prog.c" and used the system's C compiler. An executable was created which we just ran. That was all we had to do.

I'm assuming that you can use any C compiler. But I'm sure that Oracle doesn't support all of them. You might need to include the appropriate .h files in your program. On my NT machine, they appear to be in $ORACLE_HOME\PRO22\WIN16\C\INCLUDE. HTH,
Brian Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 08:33:09 CST