Re: Fragmentation in tablespace file

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:22:57 GMT

In article <O7244.1784$_M5.10549292_at_nnrp1.proxad.net>,   "cblanche" <cblanche_at_free.fr> wrote:
> Does anybody can suggest me when to defragment a tablespace file ...
when i
> see there are 5 fragment in all tablespace file or when there are 1000
> fragment

The answer depends on your tablespace management policies and on the availability of maintenance windows. Generally you need to do something when the number of available free extents that can handle the largest extent request for an object in the tablespace falls below your safty threshold. The size of the threshold depends on how fast the object is growing and how far apart your maintenance windows are. This is not a nice neat answer, but I think it will help you.

You can often manage the tablespace as a whole just calculating the number of extents of a certain size available. When the you get down to say 5 extents you need to look at the objects and see what can be rebuilt, relocated, resized, etc...

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 08:22:57 CST