Snapshots: Synchronous refresh?

From: <dpurrington_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:02:51 GMT

Is it possible to refresh a snapshot synchronously? In other words, can I refresh a snapshot without having it scheduled as a job?

I'm going to need to prevent users from using the system while the snapshots are being refreshed (my snapshots require complete refreshes - - Sybase blows). Preventing them from logging in isn't the problem. The problem is being able to tell when a snapshot refresh has been completed.

To this end, I want to be able to call a stored procedure to perform the refresh (like DBMS_REFRESH.REFRESH()), but will my session wait for the refresh to be performed, or will this function merely schedule it to be performed immediately? If it waits for the refresh to be performed, I'll know the refresh is done when I get control back in my session. If it doesn't, I'll have to figure out some other way.

Thanks for the help,
Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 08:02:51 CST