Re: Re-sizing Redo Log Files in 8.0.5

From: Robin Smith <smithrc_at_zdbaora.nat.bt.com>
Date: 10 Dec 1999 12:22:19 +0000

"Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com> writes:

> 'simple Oracle command' - contradiction in terms I am afraid
>
> As an aside I personally would not want to run with as few as 2 redo logs. 3
> would be my minimum or more normally 4. And if I had enough disks I would
> alternate consecutive logs to different physical disks.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD) - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich United
> Kingdom)

You only need four discs for your redo log files. Your first redo log file goes onto disc 1, the mirrored redo log file disc 2 Your second on disc 3 and the mirrored on disc 4.

So when a disc is being archived off it is not on the active redo disc. You can have as many redo log files as you want but make sure they are an even number ( 2,4,6...) as if you have an odd number ( say 3 ) then the 3rd redo log file would be on the same disc as the first one so archiving and writing to redo would be on same disc.

Hope this makes sense.

Robin Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 06:22:19 CST