Re: Fast partial-word matching? Does it exist?

From: <karsten_schmidt8891_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:52:00 GMT

Hi,
 some starting points for investigation:

 in oracle 8, you can have functional indexes, e.g.  you you can create an index on soundex(column).

 you might also want to look at the Context Cartridge, the specs sound  like this is what you are looking for. never used it myself though.

Karsten

In article <damonhastings-0812992227150001_at_dial-109-27.ots.utexas.edu>,   damonhastings_at_yahoo.com (Damon Hastings) wrote:
> I'm looking for a database (or database plug-in) that can do arbitrary
> substring searches very quickly on a mostly-text database, or possibly
> even regexp searches. Whole-word indexing is not enough, here; I
have to
> support partial-word matching at the very least. Maybe I'm just not
> looking hard enough, but it seems most databases I've surveyed will
just
> read through all records sequentially! Not very useful when you have
> multi-gigabyte database. I need something that will build some sort
of
> index (e.g. a suffix tree, or whatever) to support very fast arbitrary
> substring searches. I'd prefer something that runs under linux, but
I'd
> also be willing to consider other platforms if nothing suitable is
> available under linux. And if a pre-canned solution isn't available,
I'd
> also take a look at any C, C++, or Perl libraries.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Damon Hastings

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 02:52:00 CST