Re: Oracle and SQL Server MTBF

From: Joel Garry <jgarry_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 23:19:29 GMT

In article <82ovc1$ed8$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   pagabler_at_fast.net wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am trying to select an appropriate database for my application and
am
> trying to consider server robustness. Problem is, I cannot find any
> robustness data for either Oracle 8i or Microsoft SQL Server 7.0.
>
> I am looking for MTBF-type data for both databases. Does anyone have
> the data to share? Or -- Can anyone tell me where to find the data?

It's really difficult to quantify due to the wide variance of configurations available (especially with Oracle), not to mention 8i hasn't really been around that long.

However, you can get a clue by searching dejanews for such things as how often people have to reboot their NT servers and how unix people are aghast that someone would have to reboot their server.

So much does depend on your requirements. Oracle is generally much more robust at the high end, however there's always the possibility that what you in particular do stumbles over some bug. The answer inevitably becomes that you have to empirically test, and talk to people who have done similar things. And there are a lot of people using Oracle.

Oracle is definitely more expensive and requires more well-trained staff, but it can be worth it.

> Thanks.
> Phil
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

jg
--
These opinions mine
mailto:joel-garry_at_nospam.home.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Dec 09 1999 - 17:19:29 CST