Re: Changing character set.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:26:41 +0100

The character set WE8ISO8859P1 is equivalent with the Latin-1 alphabet. It will support the diacritical characters of most major western European languages (no, not Servo-Croatic, that's in WE8ISO8859P9).

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_nospambigfoot.com> wrote in message news:384F4DC8.F60BCAD7_at_nospambigfoot.com...
> Just out of curiosity.. I have a database on US7ASCII, and another on
> WE8 - and I often move things via imp/exp between them. I always
> get a message about the character set. What's the fundamental difference
> between US7 and WE8 - should I choose one over the other and rebuild
> one of the databases? (Db's are very small - wouldn't be very hard).
>

> jny wrote:
>
> > I just went through a conversion from US7ASCII to WE8....
> > The main point is to take a cold backup of the entire
> > database and a full export as well.
> >
> > You have to recreate the database. I suggest you run
> > queries for tablespaces, ts_quotas, redo logs, v$parameter,
> > and all objects (dba_objects). Then do the install and
> > specify character set we8 when all the values are listed
> > before the database creation. Then:
> > -create a temporary segment for index creation
> > -set your sort_area_size up high
> > -submit the full import but make sure you specify destroy=y
> > so all your former tablespaces are recreated with the
> > exception of the temp tablespace.
> > -add redo logs
> > -drop the temp tablespace and recreate from old parameters
> > -reset sort area size
> >
> > These are the basic parts of the conversion.
> >
> > * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful