Re: Export-Import across character sets

From: Iurie Jigalov <IJigalov_at_tvguide.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 16:31:36 GMT

Hi,
Yes Oracle can convert one character set to another using exp/imp via convertional path.
You need to create exp file from previous database from computer with previous character set.
For example: from the a server with WE8ISO8859P1 in database and WE8ISO8859P1 in sql_net.
After you need copy exp file to a server or computer with US7ASCII in sql_net and import into database with
which was created with US7ASCII set.
How correct result will be you can check in advance using:  SELECT CONVERT( yourfield , 'US7ASCII', 'WE8ISO8859P1') "Conversion" FROM yourtable;
Using this method I converted French from WE8PC850 into WE8ISO8859P1.

Yours, Iurie.
Tvguide,CA, Oracle DBA.