Re: Changing character set.

From: Cong TANG <lai-tang_at_mycity.at>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:21:33 +0100

You can also change the database character set by updating the table SYS.PROPS$.

But you must be very careful. If you update this table using an INVALID value, you cannot start up the database.

Here are steps to change the characterset
1) Make a cold and clean backup of the database
2) Backup the current table sys.props$

SQL>  create table sys.props$_old
  2  as select * from sys.props$;

Table created.

Check the current character set
SQL> select name, value$ from sys.props$;

4) Change the character set to WE8ISO8859P1

SQL> update sys.props$
   2     set value$='WE8ISO8859P1'
   3     where name='NLS_CHARACTERSET';

If you use Oracle8, you need to update the national characterset as well.

SQL> update sys.props$
   2     set value$='WE8ISO8859P1'
   3     where name='NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET';

Then save the data
SQL> COMMIT;

Remark: you can query  SYS.GV_$NLS_VALID_VALUES for valid values of characterset and other NLS values.

4) Restart the database. The new characterset will be enabled.

Good luck

Cong Tang
------------------
CTBTO
Vienna, Austria

vijaylamba@my-deja.com wrote:

hi
take complete backup of all your stuff (export).
recreate the database with the new characterset.
import into new database.
there is no other way.
all the best
vijay