Re: PCTFREE

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:03:58 GMT

If PCTFREE is high,
  Advantages: More space for updating rows in the block.

                 Reduces row migration.
  Disadvantages: Wastes space in block.

If PCTFREE is low,
  Advantages: Better use of space in block.   Disadvantages: Increases row migration (reduces performance)

If your typical row of data in the table will require updating (and this causes the row length to increase), then a higher PCTFREE is in order. If your typical row of data in the table does not require updating, then a lower PCTFREE is in order.

HTH,
Brian