How to open the Oracle8i database automatically after a sucessful installation?

From: Zhenming <zmwang_at_maloca.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 23:44:04 GMT

Finally I managed to install the Oracle8i Enterprise version in my Solaris7
(try version) for Intel X86 PC. The whole space it used is about 1.4 GB
(including the default database, the Oracle8i installation guide says about
694 MB).

The installation was successful and the default database was created. There were no any errors during the installation.

I can lonin as the user "oracle" to the Solaris system and in the Bourne shell, I can open Oracle Server manager Release 3.1.5 or sqlplus Release 8.1.5 and then I can login as internal in the server manager to start the Oracle instance. There is no password for the internal, but I wonder how I can add a password to it as a security. I must specify the "initORCL.ora" parameter file location and use the startup SQL command like the following:

SVRMGR> startup pfile=/export/home/oracle/product/8.1.5/dbs/initORCL.ora

The system will take a few minitures before the instance stared.

Log on as system/manager or scott/tiger to query tables you want.

  1. Now the problem is: when rebooting the Solaris7, the instance has to restart manually as did above. How I can let the Oracle8i Instance started with the system booting?
  2. Do i have to add the /usr/local/bin to the PATH environment parameter in the .profile? When at the end of installation, this was created by running the root.sh script file.
  3. How to read the Oracle documentation in the system? In NT it is easy to read it, but in the Solaris, is there any tools to use to read them?
  4. Is there any window in which I can see the Oracle services, SIDs, and instances, listeners and etc. like in NT whether they are started or stopped?

Zhenming Received on Wed Dec 08 1999 - 17:44:04 CST