Re: Will Oracle NT knowledge carry over to Solaris version

From: <kal121_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 23:31:01 GMT

Definitely. I worked on NT for a year, and have recently begun to use Solaris. I'd be lost if it wasn't for that prior experience. There are more similarities than differences. I suggest you read the platform specific install/admin manuals very carefully - they are not the same across versions, but the "concepts" are.

In article <82mgie$or6$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   biscuit_13_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I am currently a SQL Server DBA, but I have gotten approval to start
> working toward an eventual migragtion to using Oracle probably on the
> Sun Solaris platform. This will not happen for another 6 to 12 months.
>
> We already have NT boxes that I could use, but we don't have any
> Solaris/Unix machines. So I was wondering from a strictly Oracle
> perspective, if I get the development version of Oracle 8 for NT to
> practice/train on, will the Oracle knowledge transfer reasonably well
> when we are ready to start developing with the Sun Solaris version, or
> should I wait until we get a Sun box?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Biscuit
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Dec 08 1999 - 17:31:01 CST