Re: Changing character set.

From: jny <yokoyamajNOyoSPAM_at_cder.fda.gov.invalid>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 12:23:25 -0800

I just went through a conversion from US7ASCII to WE8.... The main point is to take a cold backup of the entire database and a full export as well.

You have to recreate the database. I suggest you run queries for tablespaces, ts_quotas, redo logs, v$parameter, and all objects (dba_objects). Then do the install and specify character set we8 when all the values are listed before the database creation. Then:
-create a temporary segment for index creation
-set your sort_area_size up high
-submit the full import but make sure you specify destroy=y
so all your former tablespaces are recreated with the exception of the temp tablespace.
-add redo logs
-drop the temp tablespace and recreate from old parameters
-reset sort area size

These are the basic parts of the conversion.