Re: create index and rollback segs?

From: Lothar Armbüster <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 08 Dec 99 19:31:30 +0100

Vrajesh Patel wrote at 07-Dez-99 18:57:49 on the subject Re: create index and rollback segs?:

>By default,
> Maximum no. of extents are 121. Increase that size to all RBS by some max.
>no, supported by your system.

Well, I know this. What puzzles me is the fact that a create index needs rollback segments. Since there is nothing to rollback after a create index. The index creation ran alone whithout any parallel load on the server so there isn't any need for rollback segs to get consistent view of data either.
The other amazing thing is that RB9 gets full while I told the transaction to use RB_BIG (which can grow to 1GB so should be enough).

I never saw any create index fail because of rollback segs on Oracle7, so why does it on Oracle 8i?

>: SQL> set transaction use rollback segment rb_big;

                                             ^^^^^^

>:
>: Transaktion wurde gesetzt.

[...]

>: FEHLER in Zeile 1:
>: ORA-00604: Fehler auf rekursiver SQL-Ebene 1
>: ORA-01562: Fehler beim Erweitern der Rollback-Segmentnummer 10.
>: ORA-01628: Max. Anzahl von Extents (121) für Rollback-Segment RB9

                                                                 ^^^

Still puzzled,
Lothar

--

Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Hauptstr. 26            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de