Re: low-latency multi-master replication reliability?

From: <rcordingley_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 06:00:04 GMT

In article <384B46F1.351987DB_at_us.oracle.com>,   Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:

I'd love to have the luxury of volume testing the system in advance. However, I work for a very small company and we don't have the equipment to do it very effectively. That's why I'm looking for somebody who's done it before me. 8)

As far as log-sniffing vs trigger-based replication, in this case the comparison is like oranges and tangerines, I think. Shareplex can do multi-master replication in its latest incarnation. On the face of it, shareplex seems to be the better choice for load distribution, since it relplicates transactions continuously, instead of every "N" units of time in a batch. The question is, does it work worth a damn?

Robert
> One of the things you should always do when setting up replication is
volume
> test it. I haven't got a configuration to do this with now, so I
can't
> comment too much on your first question.
>
> On your second question, you're comparing apples with oranges.
Shareplex
> (from my understanding, anyway - please correct me if I'm wrong) is a
> product that uses log based replication rather than trigger based
> replication, so it's more akin to standby database than advanced
> replication.
>
> cord_at_ragesoft.com wrote:
>
> > Can y'all give me any ideas of the reliability of Oracle8i's
> > multi-master replication when the latency is cranked as low as
possible?

> > I need to have two (or more) databases in which all changes are
> > replicated as close to realtime as possible. I set up a similar
system
> > a few years back and it was horribly unreliable. Of course, that
was on
> > Oracle 7.3, so things have hopefully improved dramatically since
then.

> > Also, does anybody have any experience with Shareplex from Quest?
Is it
> > better or worse than Oracle8i EE for fast replication?
> >
> > Robert Cordingley
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> --------------4471071215613804206EFA91
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Sharman;Pete
> tel;cell:+1.650.868.9969
> tel;fax:+1.650.633.1506
> tel;work:+1.650.607.0109
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> org:Advanced Technology Solutions;Oracle Corporation
> adr:;;500 Oracle Parkway M/S OPL-A4019;Redwood Shores;CA;94403;USA
> version:2.1
> email;internet:psharman_at_us.oracle.com
> title:Managing Principal Consultant
> note;quoted-printable:**** The statements and opinions expressed here
> x-mozilla-cpt:;9088
> fn:Pete Sharman
> end:vcard
>
> --------------4471071215613804206EFA91--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Dec 08 1999 - 00:00:04 CST