Re: Fast Growing TEMP tablespace

From: <miaemp_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 22:27:50 GMT

In article <82imed$2dr8$1_at_nnrp01.ops.uunet.co.za>,   "Garsen Subramoney" <Garsen_at_netactive.co.za> wrote:
> Hi
>
> One of our developers has developed a procedure that gows my TEMP
tablespace
> at an enormous rate (my TEMP goes from 200 MB to 800MB in half an
hour.)

> The effect of this is that the whole database which is running on an
RS6000
> is brought almost to a shutdown.
>
> What type of proces can cause this much damage? Could bad use of
cursors
> lead to such damage?
>
> Thanks

The TEMP segment is mainly used for sorting. If the developer has a explicit cursor with an order by, it will grow the temp segment. Also, an implicit cursors could do the same damage. Any kind of sort usually go into the temp segment. Also, if the developer creates a temporary table in the FROM clause of a statement, it will also go into the temp segment.

HTH
Eric Peterson
Programmer/Analyst DBA
Maurices Inc.
eric_NOpeterson_at_maurices.inrgSPAMMERS.com

These views are solely my own and not my company's. To email, remove the NO and the SPAMMERS.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Dec 07 1999 - 16:27:50 CST