Re: recovery after full import?

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 16:22:08 GMT

In article <82ip2i$1dp$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Laith Suheimat <l.suheimat_at_mdx.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3.4.0 on NT Server 4.0 sp5.
> One of the tablespaces consisted of two datafiles, one of which
> had been corrupted (still don't know how) and was flagged
> as 'missing0022' in dba_data_files.
>
> The database is in Archivelog mode, and full backups are taken every
> night. A full export is also taken (perl script) every night, but
> hadn't been running for a while (AT Scheduler screwing up?). I
> therefore decided to recreate the clone database, reusing the
datafiles
> on disk, and then doing a full import from the last export before the
> problem with the second datafile. I also restored the archive redo
> logs, but not the control files.
>
> I now have a working clone database, but what I would like to do is
> apply all the archived redo logs, to bring the database up to date. Do
> I need to restore the control file(s) from the date on which I took
the
> export?
>
> Any help appreciated, even Oracle Tech Support are unsure on this one!
>
> Laith Suheimat

I do not think the recovery you are attempting is supported.

Since you had a media failure you should be recovering the missing files from backups and then applying the redo logs for forward recovery. Exports are logical and an import does not put the data back into the exact same location it came from. If the redo logs are physical in nature as I belive they are then forward recovery applies data to file, block locations so that the recovery, if it will even run, will not apply the recovery to the correct location. Indeed since you must have recreated the affected tablespace I do not believe Oracle will even see recovery as necessary.

Perhaps I do not understand your post correctly. --
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Dec 07 1999 - 10:22:08 CST