Re: Oracle 7.3.4 Upgrade failed ...

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:53:50 -0000

The '4 character limit' on SIDs was once (and may still be) a limitation on VMS systems and the way in which the SQL*Net configuration was used, and Oracle Corp has (for some time) suggested setting a 4-character limit on SIDs for all platforms because of this.

The problem with SID1 and SID2 colliding may be down to the way that Oracle generates a key for the shared memory segment. I believe there is an option on some platforms to create a file in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory with a name like config{sid}.opt which specifies the SHM key that should be used. Unfortunately I don't remember the necessary details of how (and where) this works.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk