Do I have to install some patches before installing the Oracle8i in Solaris7 x86?

From: Zhenming <zmwang_at_maloca.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 20:41:25 GMT

Hi,

I want to install Oracle8i for Solaris x86 server in my PC. The PC has the Solaris7 x86 try version system running. The Oracle8i installation guide requires the two patches need to be installed before Oracle8i server be installed. Since I cannot find the following two patches: 106328-04, and 107440-01 in the internet, I have to download the SUN's Solaris 7_x86_Recommended patch cluster and try to install them in my system. So far, i have tried to install the patch cluster several times. Although the installation were successful, but when I reboot after the installation which is required, the system becomes stalled. Here is the following error message:

" INIT: cannot create /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx

   INIT: failed write of utmpx entry: " "   INIT: SINGLE user mode
   Enter RUN level (0-6, s or S ):0
"

In fact none of the above run levels works, so I had to reinstall the whole system.

I hope anyone who has solved this problem can help me. i appreciate any help.

Zhenming Received on Sat Dec 04 1999 - 14:41:25 CST