Problems with getting Oracle running with Linux

From: Jeff Hsing <jhsing_at_mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:50:18 -0500

I'm having problems getting Oracle 8.0.5 and RH6.0 Linux up and running properly.

Problem #1: I'm getting error "ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress" whenever I'm trying to connect from either sqlplus or svrmgrl. I've think I've set all of the initorcl.ora files properly and dbstart processes fine mounting the Oracle instance and database mounted. I can go into svrmgrl and type "connect joe/pwd as sysdba" and then create tables and insert data but then get the error when I go "connect joe/pwd" or when I enter the info for sqlplus. The error persists. Any ideas?

Problem #2: When I log in as another user like joe and type "sqlplus" at the command line, I get the error "Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus" I can't seem to locate the splus.msb which I think is what should be there and I can't locate where this reference is defined. When I try to go into SVRMGRL, I then get the following error "Message 4505 not found; No message file for product=SVRMGR, facility=MGR

Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12162" What am I missing in setting up clients?

Thanks in advance Received on Fri Dec 03 1999 - 10:50:18 CST