Re: Problem installing Oracle 8i on RH6.0

From: Greg McCann <gregm_at_well.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 15:31:01 -0800

Alain Léglise Consultant wrote:

> I try to install Oracle8i on a RedHat Linux 6.0.
> When I launch the installer (./runInstaller), I always get this prompt
> message :
>
> "Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please
> wait...",
>
> After a few seconds, a window flashes (it opens and closes immediatly
> without I could see a thing...) on the screen...
> Then, the installer goes on without nothing to do (seems like). I just
> have to stop it after about 10 minutes...
>
> For information, here is some tools and variable environment...
> Java = jdk 1.1.6 v5 (i allready tried jre 1.1.6 v5 -> same results).
[snip]

I installed on RH 6.1 rather than 6.0 but here are a couple of things that may help.

  1. Some people have reported having more success using jre 1.1.7v3 rather than 1.1.6v5.
  2. You may need to run ./install/linux/runIns.sh rather than ./runInstaller.

HTH, Greg Received on Thu Dec 02 1999 - 17:31:01 CST