DB Design Advice Needed

From: Eric Raskin <eraskin_at_paslists.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:53:14 -0500

Hello all...

I've got a table of master table of names/address and a detail table of orders. I need to produce statistical counts, such as:

  Last 6 Months orders by SCF (1st three digits of ZIP code)   Last 12 Months order by SCF

     etc.

  Last 6 Months $10-99 orders by SCF
  Last 12 Months $10-99 orders by SCF
    etc.

Plus a whole lot more of the same thing. In every case, I just need a record count for everything that meets the criteria. Sometimes the criteria will be in the master table, sometimes in the detail, and sometimes in a combination of the two.

What is the most efficient way to generate this mess? Is this a single Oracle Reports? Or do I need to run lots of queries first to generate the individual statistics and store them in tables, then Report them?

Also welcome are places on the web to read up on this type of design....

TIA Eric Raskin
eraskin_at_paslists.com Received on Thu Dec 02 1999 - 15:53:14 CST