Re: Lock timeout

From: <tedchyn_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 21:31:24 GMT

conner, I tried your code out
using lock table xx in exclusive mode nowait; the exception codition was never met hence no error was raised. should there be another exception condition other than the one you listed.
thanks ted

In article <38451489.63CF_at_yahoo.com>,
  connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Terry Stewart wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Does anybody know how I specify a 'lock wait timeout' value for
Oracle
> > 8i (Solaris). All I want to do is say that whenever I need a lock
and
> > there is a conflicting lock, that I only want to wait for 15
seconds,
> > for example. There used to be an init parameter
> > 'distributed_lock_timeout', but this seems to have been obsoleted in
8i.

> > The scenarion I am trying to deal with is simply the case where a
> > transaction is started by some GUI client and he goes off to get a
> > coffee. In the meantime someone else trys to lock a row which the
first
> > (coffee drinking) user has locked. I would like the second user to
get a
> > 'lock timeout' exception.
> > This seems like a fairly fundamental DB thing that I am having
> > considerable difficulty finding in the Oracle documantation. I am at
the
> > point of admitting to stupidity (maybe its true).
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help,
> > Terry Stewart
>
> See Thomas's post...
>
> To simulate a lock timeout you can use the dbms_lock.sleep routine,
> namely
>
> declare
> failed_to_lock exception;
> pragma exception_init(failed_to_lock,-54);
> v_counter number := 1;
> begin
> begin
> lock blah in exclusive mode nowait;
> exception when failed_to_lock then
> if v_counter > 10 then
> raise_application_error(-20000,'10 seconds AGH!');
> else
> dbms_lock.sleep(1);
> v_counter := v_counter + 1;
> end if;
> end;
> end;
> /
>
> --
> Connor McDonald
> "These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
> connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com
>
> "Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Dec 02 1999 - 15:31:24 CST