On AIX: Oracle8 v/s DB2 UDB

From: <stromsjo_at_acm.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 20:48:28 GMT

Hi fellow netters!

I've spent most of my working hours the last ten years with Oracle Rdb
(formerly DEC Rdb). Being my first love I wouldn't trade it for anything
but once in a while people want a database outside the OpenVMS platform
(can't imagine why ;-) and that presents the following question.

I'm contemplating a choice between DB2 UDB and Oracle8 in an AIX environment. Such a choice is of course highly application dependent. Nevertheless, I think it should be possible to list a few pros and cons of the respective alternatives. Having identified a certain
(dis)advantage, this could be a real show-stopper or it might not matter
that much - again depending on the application and other local factors.

Why these two products, someone asks. Well, according to conventional analytical wisdom IBM and Oracle are the two current leaders in the database arena. A few years ago there might have been five major contenders but since then both Informix and Sybase have run into major problems. Microsoft is still a 'challenger' and their database is only available in the PC world anyway so that leaves two alternatives.

I'd appreciate your constructive thoughts and input.

Regards,

Per Stromsjo

(previously posted in comp.databases.ibm-db2 as well)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Dec 02 1999 - 14:48:28 CST