analyze index validate strucute & alter index rebuild lock table?

From: Fender <efender_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:52:24 -0500

Do either "analyze index validate structure" or "alter index rebuild" lock the underlying table in Oracle 8.0.5? We are trying to automate index rebuilds for indexes with ((deleted leaf rows / total leaf rows ) * 100 > 25) OR (pctused < 75%)). We need to run analyze to populate index_stats to select our candidates, then rebuild to recreate the indexes. If they do not lock the table, we can run this at any time during the night, and it won't interfere with batch jobs. If they do, we will probably have to define some weekly maintenance window where the analyze/rebuild is run and no batch jobs are allowed.

Thanks,

Eric Received on Thu Dec 02 1999 - 13:52:24 CST