Duplicating a Database on the same machine

From: W. Scott Moore <sirws_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:37:55 -0700

Here is what I would like to do. Currently, I have a production instance and a development instance on the same machine, with all of the data files on different drives and directories.

What I would like to do is come up with a way to duplicate the production database into the development instance, say late every night. (They aren't huge databases at this point in time... full export is about 200MB), but there are lots of tables.

Is it possible to do a full export of the production database and import it to a new location, creating datafiles in a different location for the dev database? All of the datafiles have the same name, except for the control files, logfiles, etc. which are named differently based on the Oracle SID name - if that helps.

I am able to shut down the production instance as well, if a solution would require copying the datafiles. I am sure there are many ways of doing this, I am just looking for something that is fairly quick, and easy to maintain.

We have 8.0.5 on NT.

Sincerely,
W. Scott Moore
GIS Data Base Analyst
City of Chandler, AZ Received on Thu Dec 02 1999 - 10:37:55 CST