Re: SQL or PLSQL

From: Tom Best <Tom.Best_at_bentley.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 08:50:29 -0500

Gary:

You ISSUE SQL statements via a PL/SQL procedure or function. No, your last question was the most clear... do I use SQL or do I use cursors. If you can use a single SQL statement to do what you would have done with a cursror, then use the SQL statement. It's faster. E.G. if I want to increase the salaries of 100 employees by 10%, I could cursor through them in a loop... fetch, do the math, then do the update statement for that employee. Or... I could issue ONE UPDATE statement that does it all at once: UPDATE employees set salary = salary * 1.1

Both of these can be done from within PL/SQL.

Is that what you are asking?

Tom