Umlauts in SQLPLus (ÄÖÜ) not promptet

From: Josef Buergi <josef.buergi_at_ascom.ch>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 20:28:18 GMT

Hello

It's late at night, and I'm trying to fix a problem since a few hours!

We run Oracle 7.3.4.0.1 under Solaris 2.6.

I created the DB with we8iso8859P1 (It's the western european Character set, specially for umlauts. I also set the NLS Parameter to GERMAN/GERMANY. Now I run SQLPlus 3.3.4.0.1 and what I get suprises me a lot (on the Server side). Client Side is not a Problem.

A simple

PROMPT ÄÄÄÄÄ writes Blanks out

another

PROMPT ÜÜÜÜÄÄÄÄÄ writes Blanks out

I cannot use any date functions like SELECT * FROM BLA WHERE DAT_X1='10-MÄR-1999'; What is this. If I write umlauts into an ASCII file using vi, it comes right.

Is this an ORACLE bug or waht.

All unix variables like TERM, LC_TYPE are set right.

Any help is really really welcome.

Regards, Josef

please write to josef.buergi_at_ascom.ch Received on Wed Dec 01 1999 - 14:28:18 CST