Re: shutdown abort

From: Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:45:17 -0500

There seems to be some confusion on this subject.

Yes, in theory, a cold backup should be taken after the database has been shutdown normal. A shutdown normal waits for all users to exit before the database is shut down. In practice, however, not all users disconnect at the end of the day when they are supposed to.

A shutdown immediate is similar to a shutdown normal, except that it disconnects active sessions. If there are any active transactions, those transactions are rolled back. This is why it sometimes takes a while for the database to come down. Once all users are out, the database is shutdown similarly to a shutdown normal. This is a perfectly acceptable method of shutting down your database for backup. I believe that Oracle has even retracted the statement about using shutdown immediate for backups in later versions of the documentation.

A shutdown abort is a last resort to get your database down. Uncommitted transactions are not resolved. When the database comes back up, usually there is some recovery that needs to be performed either manually or Oracle handles it automatically. This method is not recommeded by Oracle and I can agree. However, in theory, if you shutdown abort and backup all the database files, recovery would still take place when the database was brought back up. This is one of those facts that you would like to know, but shoudn't rely on.