Re: shutdown abort

From: Frederic DEBRUS <frederic.debrus_at_ces-cdr.be>
Date: 1 Dec 1999 10:35:46 GMT

An offline cold backup is a physical backup of the database after it has been shutdown using the SHUTDOWN NORMAL command. If the database is shutdown with the IMMEDIATE or ABORT option, it should be restarted in RESTRICT mode and then shutdown with the NORMAL option.

These lines are from Oracle Manual

What I do is I try to shutdown immediate I wait for the process to complete for about 30Min and if it fails then I use a shutdown abort. Regarding your question I have never heard of any problem using shutdown abort command.

Help this help
FreD

Anurag <anurag_at_synergy-infotech.com> wrote in article <20c2f050.dc137d9f_at_usw-ex0101-008.remarq.com>...
> Hi,
> I have scheduled a cold backup every day and i do a shutdown abort
> first and then bring up the database in restricted mode and then do a
> shutdown normal nad then the cold backup takes place.
> Will there be any problem if a shutdown abort takes place every day,
> will it corrupt the database.
>
> -sometimes shutdown immediated takes a lot of time it even hangs , why
> is it so
>
> Thanks
> Anurag
>
> also reply at